click on image to view the 2003 - Scotland: Sutherland photos...
In July 2003 Anne and I went on an alternative beach holiday to the North of Scotland.
This was a holiday of contrasts:
- Wild camping in a midge ridden bog to staying in a luxury huntin', shootin', fishin' lodge
- Instant camp food cooked on a petrol burner to beautifully prepared three course dinners
- Sweeping white sandy beaches to majestic rocky mountains
- Stone age burial chambers to modern micro breweries
- Huge smelly seabird colonies to fragrant orchids
We travelled north on the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness, and hired a car. From Inverness
we drove North West to Richonich where we camped for 3 nights before being driven to an official
campsite in Scourie by the midges. After 4 nights in Scourie we then went to Borgie to stay
in a hotel for the rest of the holiday. We clocked up just over 1,000 miles during the fortnight
travelling around the North coast, before heading back to Inverness to catch the sleeper south.